Various sources help spread these numbers. Some formerly cited them, but have since taken them down. However, one that is frequently cited today is theFrancis Schaffer Institute’s Into Thy Word. It’s a webpage by people who love the Lord and love pastors, but they give some stats they say they received from two conferences held in 2005 and 2006.
- 77% of the pastors we surveyed felt they did not have a good marriage.
- 75% of the pastors we surveyed felt they were unqualified and/or poorly trained by their seminaries to lead and manage the church or to counsel others. This left them disheartened in their ability to pastor.
- 72% of the pastors we surveyed stated that they only studied the Bible when they were preparing for sermons or lessons.
- 38% of pastors said they were divorced or currently in a divorce process.
- 30% said they had either been in an ongoing affair or a one-time sexual encounter with a parishioner.
- Those are pretty stunning statistics! But we should look a little deeper at those numbers.