LAYING HANDS when CASTING out DEMONS?
Beloved “try the spirits.” There are many spirits we do not want to have anything to do with. There is our own spirit; the flesh and the devil. There are many spirits contending, and many times we let our own spirit rule and make ourselves think it is God; the same, with the flesh and the devil.
There is no passage within New Testament scripture that indicates that the Messiah lay His hands upon any demon-possessed person. Wherever Jesus went in ministry, He was always in the continual process of “giving” out to others and not “receiving.” Many times Jesus lay His hands upon the sick to heal, but never upon the demon-possessed.
In Scripture, it was the spoken “Word” that delivered those oppressed, and caused Satan to shudder with fear (see the before and after difference in the Gadarene demonic Luke 8:26-36). One of the very important reasons for this, is because of the transference of “spirits” (Numbers 14:24; I King 22:21; Ephesians 2:2; 1 Tim 4:1; 1 John 4:1; 1 John 4:3; Ephesians 5:19; 2 Cor 6:17, Col. 2:21, etc.) (or in contrast the “Holy Spirit’s power” as in Matthew 9:21).
“The Occult Version of Laying on of Hands
- Did you know that cults also lay hands on people to transfer power/demons? Yes, it is true. This is an old practice, not just something new. Hinduism teaches the laying on of hands to receive the ‘power’. Do you realize that there is a lot of demon swapping going on in the ‘churches’ today? I’ve seen it with my own eyes.
- Shaktipat 1 – (Skt. “descent of power”) – A form of spiritual transmission where a guru serves as a channel for the descent of divine grace. This spiritual baptism, typically involving the laying on of hands, awakens the dormant kundalini within a disciple to initiate or accelerate the process of liberation. Can also refer to the direct descent of grace, without intermediation by a guru.
- Never ever lay your hands on someone you know is demon possesed, and never ever let them lay their hands on you. They always want to put their hands on people and touch other people’s hands. They are demonic and they are possesed and they transfer demonic powers to you that way.
- Now if they say they want to be delivered do not lay hands on them because what they have must come out just as the demonic legions came out when Jesus delivered and they ran into the pigs. Do not touch or knowingly lay your hands on demon-possesed people.
- Be Careful in Who you permit to lay hands upon you: Manifestations?
You’ve probably fallen victim to malicious gossip through the lips of another Christian. But physical assault gives a literal meaning to wrestling principalities and powers, rulers of the darkness of this age, and spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places (Eph. 6:12). Indeed, when a demon physically attacks you through a believer, a wrestling match with the flesh and blood that’s hosting the foul spirit can ensue.
This sermon, preached by one of the forerunners of the Toronto movement, and by a lady accepted by the TB supporters as a genuine minister anointed by the Spirit, should give some pause for thought among them – because Maria Woodworth-Etter disapproved of disorderly meetings and recognized some manifestations as demonic. Her response was to put a stop to them – not allow them to continue unchecked, as today.
Maria Woodworth-Etter (1844-1924) is one of the best known Holiness preachers of the pre-Pentecostal era. From around 1885 onwards she began to use the charismatic gifts in her meetings, and was known for healings, trances and visions. Indeed, her trances were called being “slain in the Spirit”. However, her emphasis never shifted from her call to preach the gospel to the lost – she reportedly saw around five hundred genuine, lasting conversions a week in her heyday. She never focused on power or manifestations, but simply preached the word of God, calling on men and women to repent of sin, and seek the Savior.
Most of the manifestations common in TE meetings were experienced in the Woodworth-Etter meetings, so much so that some critics of the current movement trace it back to this lady! Thus, she is a perfect role-model for the Toronto leaders, and her words of wisdom, coming from her experience of hundreds of revival meetings, ought to carry some weight. Notice how she identifies the work of the devil, and cautions people not to give nor receive the laying on of hands thoughtlessly. She recognized that the devil can counterfeit the work of God.
Joe Collins [08/15/2015 4:22 PM]
Laying on with hands is not necessary, however I have done it myself
Lennie Marx [08/23/2015 4:26 PM]
This commandment is restricted for those immersed in the unaltered form of Acts 2:38 as given by Jesus to the Apostles, Mark 26:15-20, Luke 24:44-53! Others play a dangerous game, Acts 19:13-16!